Nuffnanger

Monday, May 6, 2013

Mt. Kinabalu Hike/New Cover

6/5/13 - Blackout Day.. (Okay I gave the term myself). Why is it today a black day? I'm sure you can find the details over the internet in regards to Malaysia's GE13 which was held yesterday. Either any party who has won, I hope they will fulfill their promise to the people. And It's saddening to see that the EC wasn't as clean as it should be *disappointment*.

Alright, i'll try not to talk about politics. Let's just stick to my daily life journal ya. :)

So.. I've been wanting to blog about this.. I've finally made it to Mount Kinabalu!!! *YAY* So happy that I did it~~!!! The view on top was awesomely breath-taking!  Malaysia has such beautiful places, and many more that I've still yet to explore. ^.^

There were 2 different trails to hike up to Mt. KK, the simple and shorter route - Timpohon trial (6KM), and the relatively difficult and slightly longer route - Mesilau Trail (8KM). I'm proud that me and a group of great people, which makes up a total of 18 beginner hikers, bravely challenged Mesilau trail to hike up from the gate to Laban Rata and taking Timpohon trail to hike down.

After experiencing both trails, I highly recommend hikers that have not go through Mesilau, please DO TRY OUT MESILAU TRAIL!!! It's just sooooo beautiful and tranquil that you'll fall in love with it.

The terrain wasn't that bad to hike up to Mt. KK for both trails, by comparison to the Mt. Nuang hike that I went (Mt. Nuang is the highest point in Selangor State), the trails were properly maintained, whereas Mt. Nuang, the route was muddy and slippery when it rains. Sections of it are hard to climb and no ropes or wooden handles can be found at these sections at Mt. Nuang.

For Mt. KK, environmental factors play a huge part that makes it tough to climb - high altitude (climbers are advised to take altitude sickness pills; get a proper consultation from pharmacist or doctor), cold and thinned air (makes it hard to breathe), streams of water can be found during rainfall (it was raining 90% of the time while we hike!) etc.

Okay, let's see.. so here are the photos!

The view from Kinabalu Park HQ

Mesilau Gate (about an hour drive from Kinabalu Park HQ)

And the hiking begins!

Impressed with the fitness level that the guides and porters have. Each of them carried at least 30kg of baggage weight!

Pitcher plants (Nepenthes sp.) are easily spotted along the trail

Weird-looking moss spotted everywhere

Three tiny pitcher plants

It was drizzling on and off during our hike

Come across several rivers and waterfalls. This is 1 of it.


Not forgetting to take more macro shots. :p

Walking on Kipuyut hanging-bridge

Carol trying to "catch" the mist

Another stream that we have crossed

Berries (don't know what is this plant though)

First clear view of Mt. Kinabalu's peak

We're above the clouds!

Over-looking KK city

2nd Day - The hike from Laban Rata to the Low's Peak (2.7KM)

We started hiking at 2am. It was too dark then, and I only managed to take few photos when it gets brighter.
 
Rested here for a while to see the sunrise (kinda cloudy to actually see the sun)

KM8.0

The moon is still visible

The famous point at KM8.0 - Looks familiar??

And.. Yes, if you haven't guessed it correctly already.. It's the picture printed behind the old RM1 note :)

My panda look (had only 10 hrs of sleep for the past 3 days.. looked like a zombie here. =.=")

Continue hiking upwards

Last 100m to Low's Peak - very steep and dangerous here.

Sun rising

Pee-ka-boo!

 

I called this the Gorilla's head - at KM8.6
 
I was so close to the peak (100m away), it was 7.15am when I reached the KM8.6. And the guides demanded us to start hiking down due to time constrain (check out time is 10am at Laban Rata hostel. According to the guides, extra charges for the room per hour is RM100). But anyway, I was happy I've been able to made it to 8.6KM for a beginner. And no regrets for picking the Mesilau trail as well.
 
 
It's truly a great experience, and all of us left Mt. KK with heavy hearted. I felt as if I left my soul behind, the beauty of Mt. KK, certainly can't be expressed by words. You'll need to hike up to find  out, and witness how majestic and captivating it is. I'll definitely go there again~ :)
 
 
Okay, to end my post, I shall share a new cover that I've just did earlier today, "Love the way you lie (part 2)" by Rihanna ft. Eminem.
 



No comments:

Post a Comment

yourVoices